Chocolate Custard Floating Island Bundt Cake #BundtBakers09:00
I partly changed my mind about meringue (still not a big fan of the dry version) after I tried a slice of so called Ice Cream Cake that had this type of soft and airy meringue as a base. The cake remained our household signature birthday bake for a very long time, until we all got fed up with it for which I was entirely grateful mainly because of the time it used to take me to slow bake the meringue.
Fast forward a few years I stumbled upon Martha Stewart recipe for the same type of the meringue, but ever so cleverly baked in Bain Marie in a fraction of the time that I was used to. The print out of the recipe was waiting to be tested for awhile and then got forgotten - until I saw this month #Bundtbakers theme set up by Tanya from a lovely and lively blog DessertStalking - Chocolate!! The whole idea of baking meringue just came back to me and I saw the bundt baked meringue floating in chocolate custard! Things happen for reason!
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chocolate Custard Floating Island Bundt Cake
suitable for a 10 cup bundt cake pan
For the meringue:
- 9 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Coarse salt
- 225 g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F. Brush a 10- to 12-cup Bundt pan with oil.
- Bring a kettle of water to boil. Whisk egg whites, cream of tartar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt with a mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Whisk in caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, gradually increasing speed to high. Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and whisk in vanilla.
- Transfer meringue to pan, pressing to remove air pockets. Set Bundt pan in a roasting pan and carefully pour boiling water into roasting pan to reach about 5 cm up sides of Bundt pan. Bake until meringue is puffed and lightly browned, about 20 -25 minutes. Transfer Bundt pan to a wire rack. Let cool.
Makes about 750 ml
6 eggs yolks
100 g caster sugar
700 ml milk
2 tbsp vanilla sugar
150 g dark ( 70%) chocolate finely chopped.
Beat the egg yolks an sugar together in a bowl until light and creamy. Put the milk and vanilla in a sauce pan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and pour over the egg mixture. Return to the heat until it starts to thickness slightly then add the chocolate and beat until it has melted and is well combined.
Let it cool, pour it into a wide deep plate and place the meringue on the top. Chill in the refrigerator before serving.
Now don't forget to have a look what other chocolate Bundt Bakers came up with:
- Apricot Almond Bundt Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache by Cassandra at Cassie's Kitchen
- Blackforest Bundt Cake by Anshie at SpiceRoots
- Chocolate and Almonds Bundt Cake by Kate at Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate and Lavender Bundt Cake by Aisha at La Cocina de Aisha
- Chocolate and Rose Bundt cake with Spiced Rose Ganache by Lara at Tartacadabra
- Chocolate Buttermilk Bundt Cake by Beatriz & Mara at I love Bundt Cakes
- Chocolate Cola Bundt by Sue at Just Sew Sue
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bundt Cake by Julie at Eat, Drink, and Be Mighty
- Chocolate Crumb Bundt Cake by Catherine at Living the Gourmet
- Chocolate Custard Floating Island Bundt Cake by Jelena at A Kingdom For a Cake
- Chocolate Irish Cream Bundt by Anne at From My Sweet Heart
- Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake by Tux at Brooklyn Homemaker
- Chocolate Pound Cake by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Chocolate Strawberry Pound Cake by Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cider White Chocolate Bundt Cake with White Chocolate Glaze by Patricia at Patty's Cake
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Bundt Cake by Linda at Brunch with Joy
- Devil's Food Chocolate Bundt Cake by Tanya at DessertStalking Blog
- Double Chocolate Sour Bundt Cake by Carola at En La Cocina de Caro
- False Chocolate Bundt Cake by Anna at Media Ración Doble, Por Favor
- Guava and Chocolate Bundt by Kelly at Passion Kneaded
- How the Grinch Stole Valentine's Day by Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Kickin Chocolate Bundt Cake by Kaylin at Keep it Simple, Sweetie
- Lemon Glazed Cream Cheese White Chocolate Mini Bundts by Laura at The Spiced Life
- Mars Bar Bundt by Tara at Noshing With The Nolands
- Marshmallows Chocolate Bundt Cake by Shilpi at SimplyVeggies
- Quadruple Chocolate Bundt by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Red Velvet Bundt with White Chocolate Roses by Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Sacher Bundt Cake by Esti at Mummy & Cute
- Spicy Chocolate Mini Bundt Cake by Rocio at Kids&Chic
- Triple Chocolate Buttermilk Bundt Cake by Teri at The Freshman Cook
- Tunnel of Fudge Cake by Rebekah at Making Miracles
- White Chocolate and Passionfruit Bundt Cake by Victoria at Just One Bite Baking
- White Chocolate & Raspberries Bundt Cake by Samantha at Un Mordisco Un Pecado