Chocolate Custard Floating Island Bundt Cake #BundtBakers

09:00




I partly changed my mind about meringue (still not a big fan of the dry version) after I tried a slice of so called Ice Cream Cake that had this type of soft and airy meringue as a base. The cake remained our household signature birthday bake for a very long time, until we all got fed up with it for which I was entirely grateful mainly because of the time it used to take me to slow bake the meringue.
Fast forward a few years I stumbled upon Martha Stewart recipe for the same type of the meringue, but ever so cleverly baked in Bain Marie in a fraction of the time that I was used to. The print out of the recipe was waiting to be tested  for awhile and then got forgotten - until I saw this month #Bundtbakers theme set up by Tanya from a lovely and lively blog DessertStalking - Chocolate!! The whole idea of baking meringue just came back to me and I saw the bundt baked meringue floating in chocolate custard! Things happen for reason!



#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.



Chocolate Custard Floating Island Bundt Cake

 suitable for a 10 cup bundt cake pan

 For the meringue:


  • 9 large egg whites, room temperature 
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • Coarse salt
  • 225 g caster  sugar
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • Preheat oven to 190C/375F. Brush a 10- to 12-cup Bundt pan with oil.
  • Bring a kettle of water to boil. Whisk egg whites, cream of tartar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt with a mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Whisk in caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, gradually increasing speed to high. Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and whisk in vanilla.
  • Transfer meringue to pan, pressing to remove air pockets. Set Bundt pan in a roasting pan and carefully pour boiling water into roasting pan to reach about 5 cm up sides of Bundt pan. Bake until meringue is puffed and lightly browned, about 20 -25 minutes. Transfer Bundt pan to a wire rack. Let cool.
Chocolate Custard:
Makes about 750 ml

6 eggs yolks
100 g caster sugar
700 ml milk
2 tbsp vanilla sugar 
150 g dark ( 70%) chocolate finely chopped.

Beat the egg yolks an sugar together in a bowl until light and creamy. Put the milk and vanilla in a sauce pan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and pour over the egg mixture. Return to the heat until it starts to thickness slightly then add the chocolate and beat until it has melted and is well combined. 
Let it cool, pour it into a wide deep plate and place the meringue on the top. Chill in the refrigerator before serving.

Now don't forget to have a look what other chocolate Bundt Bakers came up with:

You Might Also Like

24 comments

  1. odlična tema za igricu... sviđa mi se meringe biskvit sa čokoladnim prelivom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a gorgeous cake! I've never been a big meringue fan either, probably for the same reason. These photos, and the way you've described this cake, and of course the addition of the chocolate custard, make me want to give this a try!
    I've never had floating island but every time I hear about it I think I need to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks amazing - soft, fluffy, light... delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wooow, what a spectacular cake!! I am also not such a merengue fan, but your explanation and the photos... the convinced me completely! Congrulations, till now the most beautiful bundt I have seen :-) Love from Spain, Lara Tartacadabra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much! I am not able to individually reply as my reply button is still out of order and I have no idea how to fix it, tried every trick I knew or read about. Nothing! Let me know if you have any idea about what went wrong

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a cool looking bundt, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This bundt is so cool! Extra points for creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesantan nacin pecenja, moracu da zabelezim recept, izgleda preukusno :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Jelena, This is one gorgeous bundt. The idea that it is just meringue is fabulous...so light and airy, I wish I had a piece of this heaven right now. xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this, Jelena! Such an unusual but beautiful Bundt. I'll bet your family was happy that you were making meringue again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baš fora izgleda, jako zanimljivo, morati ću probati.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jelena....this is the most special bundt cake I have ever seen! Very unique and I just love it and I love your photography! Bravo! Well done! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have just taken the good old Bundt cake to a whole new gourmet level. Fantastic and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow.....I am duly impressed.....heck I was impressed at the name...chocolate custard floating island....who could resist that!??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this looks incredible. I absolutely love meringue, this cake is right up my alley. What a gorgeous cake!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous Cake... I m sure, it must be very delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So original! I must try this recipe, I love meringue. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. An unexpected bundt cake!!! It is great!!!! Very original and surely, so delicious... I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow!!! This one is a "must to taste" in my list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never tried anything like this before, it looks so tempting! Laura@ Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmm, verujem da je svaki zalogaj poput najneznijeg oblacica, a fino mu pristaje i cokoladni "kaputic".:)))

    ReplyDelete
  22. So many new things here. Never seen meringue like this. I need to try a small version. Never heard of a floating island. Something else to try!

    ReplyDelete