Tuesday, 13 August 2013

Dutch pancake

or "my debut visit to Amsterdam"


I'm about to spend the next 3 days in a city built on more than 90 islands- a place of flowers, listed buildings, canals and houseboats and half a million bicycles... Windmills, raw herrings, clogs, a place that was once the  home of Van Gogh, Rembrandt and Anne Frank, a mecca for hippies and squatters from all over the world, famous for its coffee-shops  and the Red Light District, the capital of gay marriage and snack culture, a city with no curtains and with probably more labels attached to it than I care to count. Some call it the city of controversy, others the place of diversity.  I'll tell you what I think when I come back. In the meanwhile, whilst getting ready for the trip, I have read various posts and articles, a guide book or two and then did what I always do when visiting a place for the first time; I disregarded everything apart from any useful information that will help me make my way around the town. And then, of course, yes, I made THE pancakes- puffy Dutch pancakes. They have been all over baking blogs recently, so I decided to give them a try and then compare them with the "real thing".



A few pancakes later, I must tell you that "the real thing" needs to be something really special to beat this.
It's a modish looking combination of choux pastry, Yorkshire pudding and  the old fashion pancake - it can be eaten with cream and raspberries, strawberries, lemons, sugar, honey, pretty much any way that you like it.
You will however, need a 6" or any other small round, deep, oven safe dish.

35 g plain flour
1 large egg
65 ml milk
1/2 tsp sugar
pinch of salt (10 g)

Preheat the oven to 200 C/390 f and place your dish inside. Mix the dry ingredients, add egg, mix to combine, then slowly add the milk.  When the skillet is piping hot, put a knob of butter to melt then quickly pour the batter. Close the oven door and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.
This recipe was adapted from here.

3 comments :

  1. I invited you to participate in a game :)
    http://gopiandspice.blogspot.com/2013/08/blogeri-se-igraju-lepo-je-i-ostalima.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uzivaj, lepo se provedi, isprobaj neke fine receptice i napravi puuuno lepih fotkica... cekamo utiske kad se vratis, a dotle cemo grickati ove pomalo neobicne ali verujem vrlo ukusne palacinke.:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moram ovo probati... Moram... Viđala sam već recepte, ali nikako da dodje na red...

    ReplyDelete